The Russian linesman from Azerbaijan


As we get closer to the World Cup and the usual jingoistic crap is starting up in full force, I feel it's time to put the ignorance of Clive whatshisface off ITV and most of the media in its place. Let's get one thing straight the 'Russian' linesman who allowed England's controversial / phantom goal in the World Cup Final of 1966 was not Russian, but from Azerbaijan. His name was Tofik (or Tofig or Tofiq) Bakhramov and he's probably Azerbaijan's most famous footballing hero. Previously he had played football and then became a referee ( he also controversially disallowed a goal in the first round in 1966 when Switzerland scored against Spain) and served on the Azeri Football Federation for many years after his retirement.

The national stadium in Baku is named after him as is the stadium in Ganja. I met his son when England played Azerbaijan in a World Cup Qualifier in Baku and he even let me blow the golden whistle that his father received after the World Cup final from the queen.

In the picture above I am the one closest to the flag just to the left of the letter A on the flag.

Anyway that is the second post in a row that mentions 1966 and I promise it will be the last.

Comments

Kieran said…
I hope you manage to develop a little enthusiasm for the World Cup! I agree about the way it always starts out as 'we fear no-one', and ends up as 'we can still mathematically get through' or 'we wuz robbed'. I'm just going to watch it for, hopefully, some good football, wherever it comes from. I am sneakily hoping Argentina get it together, despite the interference of Mr Maradona. Incidentally, Brady Stone has left Ely for the (probably) big bucks of Kings Lynn.
Neil said…
Now it has finally started I've got into it. I'm quite looking forward to France V Uruguay tonight. Like you, I'm secretly (not that secretly) hoping Argentina do well. I think it will be interesting to see how mad Madonna gets in his team selection. I'm wondering if he'll drop all the top stars and go with Martin Palermo.

I saw that Brady had gone to Lynn. I think it was a shame that the Ridgeons didn't let Lynn into the Premier. It would have put a few quid in the kitty with the number of fans they would have brought down

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund