Language Problems - Part 2

I've just come in from the evenings back yard pyrotechics, which weren't exactly on a par with anything FC Seoul would do and realised that there are no live games on what can be termed as normal telly, so I decided to catch up on the old web site here.

A few months ago I wrote about the problems of Ukrainian, Russian and the Cyrillic and Roman alphabets throwing up some strange linguistic concoctions, but now I have another problem and the problem is English. The other day I read a report about a CRC game, CRC being a team in the same league as the mighty Ely City which linked what happened at their home game and what happened at Ely's home game as 'further up the road in Cambridgeshire'. Now I took this to mean that CRC were a team from Essex or Kent or somewhere like that and they meant further up the road in another county (Cambridgeshire), but on more research and the fact I saw a bus going to CRC from Cambridge train station I found out that CRC are a kind of academy team for Cambridge City. (CRC stands for Cambridge Regional College - more about that another time.) so, what the report actually meant was further north in the same county.

This is all rather pointless, but now I'm wondering what the commentator for the Roma v Chelsea game meant last night when he said 'the Roma coach was stoned last sunday'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boca Juniors shirt history

shirt history AS Roma

Sud Tribune, Dortmund