The FA Cup so far


I know it wasn't really the start of the FA Cup yesterday, as I had already been to qualifying games at Rocester and Cambridge City, but it was the first round proper and there was no local football, apart from Histon who beat Swindon in the cup, so I was perched in front of the TV. Unfortunately I am going to miss the Havant and Waterloovile v Crewe game, which I expect Havant to win due to promising to go to the swimming pool.

Obviously, the big stories so far have been Curzon and Ashton, Histon and Blyth knocking out league opposition, with the Blyth win over Shrewsbury being the most impressive, but there were some other interesting results.

Notts County, who knocked out Sutton United and the commentator saying 'Notts County's quality shone through', it must be a long time since anybody said that!

Macclesfield also got called the 'romance killers' when they beat Harlow, which is funny as I remember being at the Moss Rose when Hartlepool knocked Macc out when Macc were the non league underdogs.

Kidderminster knocked Cambridge out, which I was glad about, but only because it means that I'll be able to go to Cambridge v York in 10 days, as a replay was avoided.

Chesterfield beat Mansfield in the Spires v Scabs derby, a game that must have kept the Derbyshire Police busy, as they still bear grudges from the miners' strike. Also in the East Midlands, 2 of the smaller teams went through with Eastwood Town and Alfreton Town recording victories.

Stevenage gave the Toon a shock 10 years ago, before losing in a replay at St.James, I presume the shock was the dodgy shirts they were wearing. Yesterday they were wearing sensible shirts and had the chance to knock out one of the biggest teams in the first round, Leicester City. They lost 3-0. The music that they play when Leicester score sounds like 'Did I really kiss the sky by Kingmaker', but I doubt it is. I really hate it when they play music when a team scores, but at least it was different to the little ska ditty every other club who have to try and create an atmosphere tend to play.

One of the shocks that went virtually unmentioned was Conference bound Bournemouth beating Bristol Rovers who have been rejuvenated by Nicky Lambert's goals.

Well anyway there are still quite a few games to play in the first round and there could be a few more shocks, and I've found it really interesting and a welcome break from the big four on TV, Accrington v Tranmere on TV has a certain comedy effect and I can't imagine some of these games making it to mainstream TV in most countries. I remember Sasha from the sports bar in Kyiv being a bit confused a few years ago when I got him to put Burton Albion v Hereford on and Kolya being bemused when they put Mansfield v Middlesbrough on last year. Just remember if Havant do win they aren't the heroes of last year only three of them remain on the books.

Time to go swimming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund