Monday, September 30, 2013

King's Lynn 2 Marine 3

On Saturday King's Lynn took on Marine at the Walks in the Northern Premier League. Marine are a team that I remember from games against Matlock and Buxton when I was a kid. They were always sturdy opposition. Some things haven't changed. They were in mid-table before the match and a couple of points behind Lynn.

The game started off in typical King's Lynn fashion, with them looking robust going forward and vulnerable when hit on the break. Despite the somewhat frantic start the first real chance of the game came on 19 minutes when Dan Jacob came close with a header. However, Lynn's vulnerability on the counter attack was again highlighted when Andy Fowler went up to the other end and scored a well taken goal to put the visitors ahead.

After Marine had taken the lead Lynn pushed and pushed for an equaliser. The next real chance fell for Marine on 35 minutes, again for Fowler and again on a counter attack, but this time he was unable to convert. Lynn did get the equaliser that they deserved before the break when on 35 minutes a set piece was headed emphatically home by the towering centre-half and captain, Phil Gulliver. So, it was all square at the break, but the second half promised more goals.

On 51 minutes Gary Mills was tripped in the box and Robert Duffy stepped up to put the Linnets in the lead for the first time in the game. The Walks was now rocking and Lynn were looking to put Marine to the sword, just 2 minutes after the penalty Jake Jones was upended in similar fashion to Mills, but this time the referee didn't blow his whistle. In the next few minutes Lynn were on fire and a great run from Jones that was just put wide by Dan Jacob was the pick of the bunch of the chances.

It was poor defending by Lynn though, that led to Marine getting level, rather than Lynn extending their lead. On 61 minutes the defence crumbled while the whole of the midfield were committed to attack and Fowler had his and Marine's second.

Lynn were now deflated and despite them continuing to attack in droves and push for a winner it was Marine who were take advantage with Will Jones scoring on 73 minutes. Lynn continued to press, but Marine managed to close the game out. Shame about the result, but it was an entertaining match in unseasonably sunny weather.

No comments: