Wednesday, April 24, 2013

How to win the cup part 2

Last year Ely City beat Soham in a breathless final to win the Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup. On Monday they had the chance to retain the cup after reaching the final again, this time Cambridge City stood in their way.

Ely went into the final as the underdogs and although Cambridge City have slipped away in the play-offs of late they are still 2 steps further up on Ely. Most Ely fans didn't expect a victory for the Robins and it would appear that none of the Cambridge City lot thought the trophy would be going back up the A10 again either.

Cambridge City have never endeared themselves to me, so at least it was a chance to wind them up a bit, as they definitely can give it out, but can't take it. Little did we know that apart from being easy to wind up they are also bad losers.

The opening half hour was pretty evenly balanced, but Ely looked more threatening and the other City looked adept at falling over themselves, but they were cancelling each other out during this period. All that was about to change though. On 33 minutes Ely were awarded a penalty. Chadders stepped up to take it. The Cambridge keeper saved it. Their fans were cheering. Chadders got the rebound. 1-0 we were cheering.

After this Ely seemed to grow in confidence, but it was still quite tense and the game was fairly evenly poised, so it was a big relief when it was still 1-0 at the break.

Ely came out firing on all cylinders and on 51 minutes a bullet header by Austen Diaper put the Robins 2-0 up. Cambridge's tempers were being tested and Pepper saw red after an atrocious foul on Chadwick. Things were about to get worse for the team in black and white though, as on 56 minutes a deflection some how went in from David Wilson. I didn't even realise it was a goal until I saw it in the back of the net. The underdogs were now 3-0 up and the job was done.

Cambridge as you would expect had the better chances in the last half hour, but Ely were able to hold them at bay and apart from hitting the bar they never really threatened Lee Pacey's goal. So it finished 3-0 and the cup will be spending another year at the Unwin.

No comments: