Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ely City 1 Wisbech Town 2 - Dire Derby

Last night on a cold February night Ely took on Wisbech at the third attempt. The game had originally been called off at the last minute on January 2nd because of heavy rain and the rearranged game fell victim to the snow. Was it worth the wait? Well, not really.

Apart from the weather the pitch had taken a battering after the reserves had played on it on Saturday and Cambridge Women on Sunday. I'm not sure if the plan of rolling the life out of it every time it gets cut up is the answer though. Wisbech have been doing well enough this season, but still seem to be falling below their expectations, and after going out of the Vase they got rid of 4 players including Dubi Ogbonna. Ely on the other hand have had a disappointing season after finishing 2nd last season, they have been a fixture in the lower half of the mid table. There have been a few flashes of inspiration, but a few games where they have deserved the tag that a few clubs have levied at them of being a non-league Stoke. Although I would argue that Stoke are actually more like a league version of a myriad of non-league clubs Ely didn't exactly do much to expel the myth last night.

The first chance of the game fell to Ely in the first minute, but Murray didn't manage to beat the goalkeeper. That was one of the few chances that Ely had in the half. In fact Wisbech didn't create much either, they were having problems with the offside trap, and most of the chances that fell to them came from defensive errors. There was one goal of the half though and that fell to the visitors on 13 minutes after a defensive error led to Wisbech converting from a corner.

Ely started the second half in a better fashion, but the ball was spending a lot of time in the air. On 54 minutes Nick Impey managed to get it on the ground and a grass cutter from the edge of the box bobbled up in front of the Wisbech keeper and went into the back of the goal to level the scores.

The rest of the half was pretty lacklustre with both teams lacking creativity, but with 5 minutes to go another defensive error gifted Wisbech with the points. In fact the highlight of the half after Impey scored was probably seeing Lee Pacey leave his goal for most of stoppage time leaving the net unattended in an ice hockey style. However, unfortunately he didn't score and the game finished 2-1 to the visitors.

No comments: