Spelling Problems



I have just noticed that I have been spelling Shakhtar as both Shakhtar and Shakhter. The reason is the first variant is the transcription from Ukrainian, which is used in most official documents and on websites, where as Shakhter is the transcription from Russian, as used by Komanda and the club's fans.


Changing the writing from cyrillic to latin letters is always a headache, and I don't even know the real spelling of some of the foreign players in the Vische Liha, due to only ever seeing their names written in cyrillic. The Ukrainian dimension also leads to further headaches, as when they write names using the latin alphabet there seems to be about 20 more 'y's than you would expect. Is it Kyiv or Kiev and Krivoy Rog or Kryvyy Rih? I think I need to make a decision here somewhere along the line. I'll probably write Shakhtar as Shakhtar from now on, but leave the tag as Shakhter and try to keep to the Ukrainian variant with other names.


Mind you I'm not alone, if you go to Mayadan Nezolezhnesti, you can see scarves for sale from such top clubs as Lion (Lyon), Poma (Roma), and Sporting Lysbon. I wonder if Hibernian are also aware that they are the pride of Edinburg. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is getting a headache from all this!
The top image shows the new official crest of Shakhtar with the Ukrainian variant of the name. The second image shows the old version, which is still on most merchandise for sale and has the Russian variant of the club name

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund