Sunday, May 12, 2013

Catching up on the most pointless match I have ever been to

It's over a week since last Saturday, when I went to see Ely Reserves take on Fulbourn Institute. That's quite a long time to catch up, but to be honest it wasn't great and then last Sunday I went to Yarmouth and on bank holiday Monday I was at a tournament at Cambridge United. I didn't go to a game yesterday, well if you don't include Littleport Rangers v Ely Crusaders in the under 8's league, but I watched Villa v Chelsea and Wigan beat Man City on the TV.

Anyway, back to that pointless game last Saturday. The weather was nice, the beer was nice, the football from Ely wasn't. Ian Walters who has been playing for and doing well for the first team was present as was Taz, who came on as sub. The rest may as well not have turned up. In fact if they had been playing in a kick around on the park they may well have been told to do one by the other players.

They started off well enough, but Fulbnourn were clearly a stronger team and should have been awarded a penalty in the early exchanges. On 11 minutes Fulbourn hit the crossbar and on 14 the Fulbourn Centre Forward deservedly put his team ahead after slotting home from a long clearance. On 22 minutes Ely could have got back in the game, but they messed up a guilt edged chance to equalise. Then 2 minutes later the inevitable happened and the Fulbourn Centre Forward claimed his personal and his team's second. It could have got worse on 27 minutes when Ely cleared off the line. Thommo was gifted another chance on the half hour mark to get the Robins back in the game, but again they missed. It was almost a hat trick for the Fulbourn Centre Forward on 35 minutes, but the goal was judged to be off side. He did get his hat trick before half time though when the Ely defence failed to clear and he pulled off a fine finish to make it 3-0.

Ely looked a bit better in the first 10 minutes of the second half and things looked like they would get better when Taz came on. It was refreshing to see Ely have an attacking player on who actually understands the offside rule. However, shortly after the hour mark the pesky Fulborn Centre Forward was at it again and another fine finish saw him take his and Fulbourn's tally up to 4. He hadn't finished though, as 2 minutes later Fulborn were awarded a penalty and he made it five from the spot. You'd have thought Fulbourn would have had enough but with 5 minutes left the tubby Fulbourn right back tried his luck from the half way line. His luck was in and it was 6-0 to Fulbourn.

The game and probably the season came to a disappointing close and by then most of the Ely contingent were in the bar checking on the mathematics of the Premier League and Championship.

No comments: