Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Orient Express - Leyton Orient 4 Carlisle United 1

On Saturday we went to Brisbane Road, courtesy of Sean's football team to see Leyton Orient take on Carlisle United in League 1. Apart from it being a chance to go to another ground it was a game that had everything with plenty of goals and a sending off.

It's been a testing few weeks for Orient, who missed out on a trip to Wembley after losing to League 2 side Southend in the Southern Area Final of the JPT and some indifferent form has left them looking like outsiders to reach the play offs, although it's so close in League 1, you never know who will make it. However, it really did look like it was going to be Orient's day as they were at Carlisle from the start and early on Carlisle keeper Mark Gillespie picked up a yellow card for handling the ball out of the box. It was a bit of a stupid thing to do, but the referee saw sense and only gave him a yellow as it wasn't denying Orient anything. Despite Orient's dominance Carlisle had the first chance of the game, although that was also created by Orient when Leon Mc.Sweeney headed the ball against his own post. Orient finally took the lead on 32 minutes when Dean Cox raced down the wing and provided the perfect cross for Romain Vincelot to head home for the O's. Orient hadn't finished though and Shaun Batt scored a tap in on the stroke of half time to put the home team 2-0 up at the break.

Carlisle looked a bit better after the break, but they were still behind Orient and on 69 minutes they were dealt another blow. Gillespie collided with Charlie MacDonald and was judged to have brought him down. He was sent off and Kevin Lisbie, who is having a bit of an Indian Summer at Brisbane Road stepped up to put the penalty past Adam Collin, who had just come on as the replacement keeper. Orient obviously fancied their chances against Collin as they peppered the goal from every angle. However, it was Carlisle who scored next when a superlative drive from Matty Robson on 78 minutes beat Jamie Jones in the Orient goal to make it 3-1. Orient weren't finished though and Cox, who in my opinion was the man of the match got a deserved goal to make it 4-1.

No comments: