Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Something to cheer about in the League Cup

Last night Ely took on Downham Market (Downham Town) in the league cup. Downham are in the first division and have never been one of the stronger clubs even in the lower division. Therefore it was a chance for the Robins to either give themselves a confidence boost after an indifferent start to the season or could have been an early nail in this season's coffin. Fortunately, it was the former rather than the latter that we witnessed last night.

Ely got off to the perfect start when a Luke Parkinson cross got the faintest of touches off Adam Murray (well, he seems to be claiming it, although it may have been an own goal) to put the home team in the lead. Ely continued by bombarding the Downham goal with shots. Downham had their first, and probably their only chance of the entire game on 20 minutes, but managed to almost hit the corner flag when they should have scored. We weren't to know that Downham weren't going to create much then though, so it was a great relief when a bit of Taz trickery saw him beat a few defenders and put the ball in the back of the net straight from the goal kick after Downham's wayward shot.

The onslaught continued and Impey nearly made it 3 when he tried to lob the keeper from the half way line on the half hour mark. Gammon should have done better 5 minutes later when his shot was charged down 5 from close range 5 minutes later. The Robins weren't finished with their scoring before half time, as on 39 minutes a clever pass from Adam Murray was headed in by Austin Diaper to put the Robins 3 up at the break. It looked like they had killed the game and although some Downham fans in the bar were saying it was a game of two halves, we for once thought that we would be avoiding extra time in a cup match on a cold Tuesday night.

It really wasn't a game of two halves as the second half was almost a carbon copy of the first. On 54 minutes Ben Lawrence squeezed the ball under the keeper from a corner. Ironically, I think that one was chalked up as an own goal by the keeper, but there was more contact from Ben than there had been from Muzza for the first.

Austin was tripped on 67 minutes and Taz stepped up to score the penalty. On 73 minutes some great work on the wing from Luke Parkinson culminated in an inch perfect cross and Gammon put it in the back of the net. Game over and 6-0 to the Robins.

In the League version of the League Cup Villa won 4-2 at Man City. Now hopefully both Villa and Ely can find some of this form in the league.

No comments: