Sunday, September 2, 2012

A new look Ely finally deliver

Yesterday Ely took on Wivenhoe in the league. The Robins took to the pitch in a brand new kit and a brand new look to the team. That all sounds positive and the new kit looked nice, but the mood around the ground was definitely less than upbeat. After the disappointing performance in the cup in the week Taylor Parr and Lewis Thompson walked away from the club. Added to this Claydon, Sterecki, Lawrence, Murray, Impey and Wilson weren't available. In defence Luke Freckwell was brought in from the reserves and Josh Bridgeman was brought into Central Defence despite normally being a midfielder. The inexperienced Walters was with Josh Curry in midfield and with the players that they had available they had to go with Gammon and Chadwick up front with Chisonga and Diaper having being finally given a chance joining the four pronged attack.

It looked like a makeshift team and it was.In fact Chairman Bob Button looked like he was going to hang himself before the game and as Ely only had two subs to call on it really did look threadbare.

The game started off well enough with both sides trying to attack. As Ely were playing 4-2-4 they didn't really have much other choice. In the opening half hour both sides had chances but neither of the goalkeepers were really tested. The first and only real time a keeper was troubled in the half was on the half hour mark when Pacey pulled off a great save from a Wivenhoe attack. So the teams went in at the half at 0-0 and to be honest we were happy with that and would have settled for honours even at full time. Things were about to get better though.

Ely came out in the second half firing on all cylinders and peppered the Wivenhoe goal; with the pick of the bunch being a dipping shot on 53 minutes, but the keeper was equal to it. Coe came close on 58 minutes and nearly got the ball under the Keeper. It was starting to look like Ely's luck wasn't going to change, but as I said we would have settled for a draw.

On 63 minutes though the Robins finally got the breakthrough. Chadders forced the Wivenhoe keeper into a brilliant save, but the ball fell to the feet of Taz and he smashed it in the back of the net to put the home team in the lead. Chadwick didn't have to wait long to have his own name on the score sheet though as 4 minutes later a corner came in from the right and he managed to squeeze the ball over the line to give us a 2-0 for the first time in what felt like ages.

The celebration of Chadders' goal is shown below.

The defence had to keep concentrating though and Ely seemed to think that attack was the best form of defence. They were up to what little the Dragons threw at them and on 84 minutes Diaper got a decisive touch from a Walters cross and it was 3-0 to the Robins.

Ely continued to attack despite being 3-0 up and Taz came really close on 87 minutes, but Wivenhoe hit them on the break, scored and looked like they had a consolation goal. Taz was having none of that though and had the ball in the back of the net in the last minute only for it to be ruled offside. In injury Taz hit the ball at distance on the volley and the ball went into the back of the net.

Ely had a 4-1 victory, their first 3 points of the season, the Dragons went back to Essex with their tails between their legs and some players who hadn't been given much of a chance up to now proved a real point.

No comments: