Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ely Bugbrooke up in the cup

Last night Ely took on Bugbrooke St.Michael's in the FA Cup. After reportedly being unlucky to win on Saturday we had hoped that they could finish off the job last night. Things were to go differently to how we had hoped though.

Ely started off brightly enough, but it was Bugbrooke who created the first chance on 10 minutes when they missed an absolute sitter. Ely came back though and on 12 minutes Josh Curry hit the bar. On 17 minutes Chadders came close, but this time the ball went just over.

It was Bugbrooke who took the lead though when on 21 minutes a looping header caught Pacey out and the Badgers went one up. Bugbrooke almost came close to doubling their lead just one minute later, but this time Pacey saved brilliantly to deny the visitors. For the rest of the half Ely battled for the equaliser, but never really came close to equalising. In fact Bugbrooke came closest in the last minute of the half when they again missed a real sitter.

Ely started the second half strongly, but Bugbrooke soon extended their lead on 50 minutes and it looked all over. After this the visitors got 9 men behind the ball with 2 forwards waiting to hit Ely on the break. This was perhaps not the best tactic though, as Lewis Thomson headed home to half the deficit on 64 minutes with a good solid header. Bugbrooke stuck to their guns though with solid defending, and despite a flurry of attacks Ely didn't come close to an equaliser. We didn't give up hope though as Ely usually manage to turn cup games into extra time if they are winning or losing with a couple of minutes on the clock. This time it wasn't to be though, as with a couple of minutes left Bugbrooke extended their lead to 3-1. The goal wasn't scored without controversy, as the Ely players had stopped playing after the linesman had flagged for what looked like a definite offside. The referee disagreed though and allowed the goal, which Ely hadn't even tried to prevent to stand.

No comments: