A purple patch

Well, Ely City have had a few good results of late. I missed a couple of games, when I went to Cambridge United v Kettering and then the weekend after when I was in Poznan, but the Robins carried on with their good form on Saturday.

Things got off to a flyer against Norwich United when Chadwick fired the ball home from inside a crowded box to put the Robins 1-0 up on 7 minutes. Ely could have and should have extended this lead with Grant Robbins and Chadders again coming close in the 10 minutes that followed. The Ely forwards looked a bit makeshift with Grant Robbins and Scott Fielding stepping in for a suspended Robbie Mason ( no surprises there we have a sweepstake on how many cards he will pick up this season) and an awol and not sorely missed Nick Impey, but after 40 minutes they realistically have had 4 goals. For once the midfield looked solid and with Big Ben Lawrence making his come back Ely looked a bit more solid in defence.

However, as often happens Ely decided to implode. On 42 minutes the Planters planted a goal in Ely's net and then on the stroke of half time Ely were penalised for sloppy back pass that for some reason Lee Pacey in the Ely goal decided to catch. Norwich didn't score directly from it, but made the most of the ensuing mele in the penalty area to go 2-1 up.

The second half was all Ely though and on 60 minutes Grant Robbins equalised from the spot. He then gave Ely the lead and Dennis Lightening something to think about with another goal on 79 minutes. To round things off Ben Lawrence scored a 4th for Ely on his return to the Unwin (well for the first team) on 88 minutes.

Next up is St.Ives in the vase, although I will be at Villa for the Hull game and then the curious replayed league game against Newmarket a week on Tuesday.

Comments

Kieran said…
Apart from the St Ives shambles, which I foolishly attended, Ely have been doing quite well recently. And, with the unfortunate loss of Kings Lynn FC, all those teams which beat Kings Lynn Reserves will be losing their 3 points, which makes for some changes in the table. Also the match against Walsham this weekend could be significant, in that, losing their two victories over Kings Lynn, and, possibly, losing to us, would seal a most forgettable week for Walsham!
Neil said…
Another great result on Tuesday, let's hope we can keep it up. It's a shame about Kings Lynn. I think a few people have had it in for them for a while when they got kicked out of the Conference North I thought it was a bit strange, as their ground is definitely not as bad as some others I've been to in that division
Kieran said…
I have been keeping track of the Kings Lynn demise by way of their website forum. Makes for very interesting reading. Seems like they fancied themselves as a mini-Chelski, with an annual players wage bill of £500k. Implies that any success they achieved was at a price the club could not afford to sustain. Seems like this approach is as common as a Robbie Mason yellow card, and, similarly, always ends in tears. Yes, Ely on a bit of a spurt at the moment, although we've been here before, so expectations are somewhat modest. Am going to the Walsham game tomorrow, and will probably be in the bar at half-time. Grey hair and glasses is me, and my mate mark is tall, skinny, and lacking in hair! If you see us, come over. - As an Ely supporter you've earnt a pint!
Neil said…
I've got to work this Saturday, so I'm going to have to miss the game, although I'll be geeting updated by texts.

I'll be up in Staffordshire over Christmas, but hopefully we can meet up for a pint at the Unwin early on in the New Year. I'm at most home games and a few away unless work calls or I go to Villa. So give me a shout when you are going to the game.

Hopefully see you on January 2nd for the Wisbech game. Have a good Christmas, mate.
Kieran said…
You certainly didn't miss anything yesterday. A very grim game, and both sides should have been docked points for incompetence and lack of enterprise. Mason was absent, which made for a dull and card-free encounter. I will have the pleasure of seeing Bolton v Hull over the Christmas period, although I can't say I'm excited at the prospect. However, the in-laws are paying, so I will fix a smile on my face, and consume substantial quantities of wine before heading to the Reebok. Might even get to see some local football 'up North'. Last time I was up there I caught Spennymoor v West Auckland, and the quality of play by Spennymoor was superb, and they well deserved a 5-0 victory. I imagine they would have made short work of Ely City, with some lovely on-the-ground passing, and quick feet. A most enjoyable afternoon it was, and a reminder that there can be skill at this level. Yes, a Happy Xmas to you too! I will probably be at the Wisbech game, but will post on here to confirm one way or the other. Once again, Happy Xmas!

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund