Club Focus - Slavia Sofia



No football yesterday, as it was Sean's birthday, but my dad brought down some old badges that I had collected when I was a kid, including some that a Bulgarian penfriend had sent me. At the time I couldn't read cyrillic, so I hadn't a clue who the teams were. Now I can read it and managed to work out all the teams were apart from one and this one turned out to be Slavia Sofia.

Slavia Sofia were formed on 10th April 1913 and have since won the Bulgarian Championship 7 times and the Bulgarian Cup 8 times. Their last victory in either of these competitions came in 1996, when they won the double. They also won the Balkans Cup twice, in 1986 and 1988.

They were formed as the first incorporated sports club in Bulgaria when Bofev and Razvitie came together to form Slavia. Their first president was a 21 year old student whose name was Dimitar Blagoev - Palio.

In 1921 they settled on their current strip of all white and became known locally as ' white pride' or 'white avalanche'.

their first competetive game was in August 1913 when they beat Savata 1-0 at the end of the season. Their first championship came in 1928 when they beat Vladislav Varna 4-0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boca Juniors shirt history

shirt history AS Roma

Sud Tribune, Dortmund