Why I'm Enjoying the Euros

Or maybe that should be why am I enjoying the Euros?
To be honest, I can't remember enjoying a competition as much as this since the 1994 World Cup, which ironically England didn't qualify for either. That time I'd just finished university, so I could watch all the matches. Since then I haven't been in England when a major tournament has been on, although I saw most of the Euro 2000 games in England too. There are a number of reasons I think that I am enjoying this tournament for:

1. The kick off times: On most nights I miss the first game, although I saw both yesterday, thankfully. It means that I don't overdose on the matches, and at the same time the rest of the family tend to go to bed during the second game, so they don't overdose on it either. The last 3 major tournaments have been a major headache regarding kick off times. The last World Cup in Germany, I was in korea and when the World Cup was in Korea and Japan I was in Ukraine. Even during the last Euros I was in Azerbaijan, which was 4 hours ahead of Portugal.

2. No England - this is actually a good thing, as you can watch the games and enjoy them for what they are without them embarassing you or you embarassing yourself.

3. Not knowing any ex-pats. I don't have to put up with any morons who suddenly become all interested in football when there's a big tournament on, this is also one of the good things about England not being there. There is nothing worse than someone who knows nothing about football trying to talk about it and falling into lazy national sterotypes about the Germans, the Italians et al, as it is actually easier than watching the game and learning anything about it.

4. The kids are getting into it, due to my work times and their bedtime, the Germany v Croatia game last night was the first one they saw and I was amazed about how much they got into it, although the Trix and Flix video at half-time helped with this process.

5. The football has actually been quite good, I've missed the Portugal games and the Spain win over Russia, but I have to say I have enjoyed most of the games I have seen since the dull start on Saturday. Things started getting really interesting last night with Croatia's win against Germany and Austria's last gasp draw against Poland.

6. Plenty of controversy: Ruud Van Horseface's ridiculously off-side goal against Italy and that penalty for Austria last night (soft penalty in the last minute that kept one of the hosts in the tournament, hmmm)

So, to put it in a nutshell this is developing into a great tournament, unless you are Polish of course. I think if I was Polish my head would have exploded by now. I mean, losing to Germany by 2 goals scored by one of your own countrymen and then getting a penalty decision against you in the last minute, poor sods. Anyway, good luck to them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
All I can say, DO NOT travel to ANY city with a large Polish population (Toronto in Canada, Chicago, or Detroit in US, etc.) and NEVER even dream of setting a foot in Poland in the next 40 years if you are a football ref, you are British, and your last name is Webb. On fact, don't even TRY officiating ant football games with Polish team, and i would hesitate to face Polish Nationals playing in English leaque. What a horrible timing of a non-penalty! I guess the Austrian striker grabbing Polish defender somehow eluded that best of British refs???
(I can rant on account my head exploded yesterday...)
Neil said…
Well I am British, but not a ref or called Webb.
Hopefully you'll still get through. If not you can plot your revenge for when the tournament is in Poland and Ukraine. I feel like coming over the border now and buying you a pint!
Neil said…
I was ranting about that penalty decision too, and I was pretty much neutral up until that point!

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund