Saturday, March 3, 2012

Battered Bloaters

Today Ely took on Great Yarmouth and with the visitors having let in 113 goals already this season I was expecting a big score for the Robins, but it didn't quite work out like that.

Ely who seem to have two games a week for most of the rest of the season made a few changes and started with an unusual combination of Richard Gammon and Austin Diaper up front. It was clear from the start the way the game was going to go with Ely camping out in the Yarmouth half. Ely went into the lead on 13 minutes when Luke Parkinson swung a corner in and Ben Lawrence met it clearly on the edge of the 12 yard box and knocked it into the back of the net. It looked like this would probably be the first of many as Ely were crossing the ball in well and Great Yarmouth didn't look like they would be able to deal with it.

In the few minutes that followed the opening goal Ely had several chances to increase their lead after a spot of head tennis from the forwards in the six yard box and then Sam Parkinson, Diaper and Wilson also came close.

During the next 15 minutes Ely continued to dominate, but were guilty of some poor passing. On 32 minutes though they did manage to string some passes together, but Luke Parkinson hit the the crossbar when it would perhaps have been easier to score.

In the closing part of the first half Gammon and Impey both had chances, but were unable to make it 2-0 and went in at the break only up by one.

The second half continued in the same style as the first half. Josh Bridgeman came close on 49, and a great shot by David Wilson was tipped over by the Bloaters' keeper. One minute later the Yarmouth defenders froze and Wilson knocked the ball in to Gammon who just had to poke the ball into the net.

However, if Ely wanted to get the goal difference up it looked like they had to make some changes up front and it seems as if Alan Alsop was of the same opinion as Taz came on on the hour mark for Diaper and Chadders came on for Gammon a few minutes later. In the early encounters with the subs on they seemed to have the problem of being too fast for the Yarmouth defence. I'm only saying it was a problem as they were given offside when they weren't, but the ease which they ran past the Yarmouth defence onto through balls was enough to put seeds of doubt into the linesman's mind.

On 76 minutes a rather strange thing happened when Yarmouth actually had a shot. It wasn't great though and almost hit the corner flag. Ely's response was to go right up the other end and show them how it was done, but the keeper managed to save from Taz Chisongo.

The game ended 2-0 although Chadders missed an open goal, although it has to be stressed that he did well to get round the keeper and was off balance. Taz also had a decent chance from a tricky back heel. Another 3 points but not the avalanche of goals that were predicted, but with Brantham and Wroxham drawing with each other Ely are (and whisper this) title contenders now.

No comments: