Sunday, November 6, 2011

Comeback Kings

Yesterday Ely took on Gorleston and as has been usual of late there were plenty of goals.

Gorleston were quick out of the blocks and Lee Pacey had to get down well to block a Gorleston shot on 3 minutes. Ely soon got back into the swing of things though and Adam Wallis was unlucky to shoot wide. This led to a sustained period of pressure by Ely, but the Gorleston defence were fairly resolute and the attackers looked dangerous on the counter attack. On 20 minutes the visitors caught the Ely defence napping and were 1-0 up.

Ely continued to pile on the pressure and Gorleston continued to mop it up and on 38 minutes things went from bad to worse for the Robins when a well worked move from the Gorleston players led to a second goal and it looked like Ely would be lucky to get anything out of the game. If they were to get anything it was probably necessary that they got something in the first half.

Luckily Ely did strike back quickly and a Ben Lawrence throw was flicked on by Adam Murray and Luke Parkinson was on hand to prod home. 2-1 at half time might not have been to bad for Ely, but they managed to do better than that and get back on level terms before the break. Just one minute after getting Ely's first goal Luke Parkinson managed to win the ball just in Gorleston's half to run down the left and slot the ball home to make it 2-2.

Ely started the second half looking to get ahead for the first time in the game and Luke Parkinson could have had his hat trick in the first minute if the ball hadn't gone just wide. On 48 minutes Chadwick had a chance of a tap in, but he somehow managed to hit the post when it would have been easier to score.

At the time it looked like Ely might live to regret those chances when the Gorleston number 7 had two great chances on 51 and 57 minutes, but on both occasions he couldn't keep his balance and put the ball wide.

The Robins did finally get the lead though on 61 minutes when a goal line scramble from a corner was prodded home. It was difficult to see who got the last touch, but I think that it was Adam Wallis.

After surrendering a 2 goal lead to go 3-2 down Gorleston were obviously feeling dejected and Ely started to really dominate. Chadwick came close on 69, but the ball was not going in the net for him on the day. Ely did get another goal though when on 79 Ely were awarded a penalty for a hand ball in the box. I don't know what the statistics are, but I think that Ely have probably been given more penalties than any other club in the league, but have also probably got the worst conversion rate. Therefore nobody looked like they were willing to take it and the crowd were suggesting that Lee Pacey should abandon his goal and take it. In the end Josh Bridgeman showed the courage and converted with a well taken penalty.

In the last 10 minutes Gorleston seemed to wake up, however they didn't really threaten the Ely goal, so thankfully we didn't have our hearts in our mouths and luckily the referee ignored a couple of ludicrous penalty appeals by Gorleston. Another game and another 6 goals at the Unwin. Ely 4 Gorleston 2

No comments: