More extra time

I don't know why, but every time Ely have a midweek game that's in a cup the game always goes to extra time. We had the never ending story of Shelford last season, an epic fight against Soham away and a cheerless end to the Cambridgeshire Cup run on a very cold and wet evening at Cambridge City and then there were the heroics of the game against Diss last week.

Last night Ely took on Kings Lynn Reserves in the Ridgeon's League Cup Preliminary Round. For most of the match Ely dominated and a Robbie Mason goal separated the teams after a defensive error in the first half. Ely continued to dominate, but with 3 minutes left disaster struck again and Kings Lynn sent the game into extra time.

I'm not proud of myself, but as Mick wasn't there, I'd had a day off work the day before with a heavy cold and getting home at midnight after another disappointing game didn't fill me with much joy. So for the first time since in 1996 when I was at a Moscow Spartak game that went into extra time in temperatures of about minus 20 and was on course to finish at about midnight I left a game early. Football God will strike me down!

I didn't miss a dramatic end though. Well maybe I did, the game finished 1-1, but Ely went through on penalties.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund