Missing Trip #8 - Part 5 - Ukraine March 2019 - Other football stuff in Kyiv

 Obviously, I am a big fan of Ukrainian football and even before the trip to Kharkiv all the way back in 2008 that started the whole blog I had had 3 years at the start of the millennium following mainly Kyiv based teams, so as part of the trip to Kyiv and Kharkiv, I visited a few other meccas of football. Both of the games I saw were at the Lobanovskiy named stadium, so I also went to Olympiskiy to see the Dynamo museum. I had seen a small exhibition of odds and ends in the club shop on a previous visit, so the thought of a museum was intriguing. Unfortunately, the small exhibition in the club shop was the 'museum'. I enjoyed it, but it would be great if a club with so much history went to the bother of having a proper museum, especially as there is a massive and expensive museum just around the corner just for the Klitschko brothers.











Another point to make is that nothing much is made of Start stadium and the legendary match against the Luftwaffe side. I know that Ukraine want to disassociate itself from its Communist past, but this is an epic story that you would hope that they would in some ways want to mark. If you consider that it is even marked in the German football museum in Dortmund, where you would think they would definitely want to bury it then it's even more striking. There was a small mention of it in the Dynamo museum, but it always saddens me that there isn't anything to mark it at all at Start Stadium itself. 

Finally, I made my way to CSKA Stadium, the site of many a fine day out at the start of the millennium. The ground is still there, but it's in even more disrepair than it was before. It would be great to one day have a team back there, but I think that might remain a pipe dream. I am surprised that no property developers have got their hands on it though. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shirt history AS Roma

Boca Juniors shirt history

Sud Tribune, Dortmund